'Game of Thrones' Q&A: Natalie Dormer on Playing 'the Kate Middleton of Westeros'

5:09 a.m. No Comment
Helen Sloan Natalie Attic as Margaery Tyrell with Jack Gleeson in 'Game of Thrones'

Step aside, Lannisters: There's a new amateur in town. Last night's division premiere fabricated it bright that Lady Margaery Tyrell, the attractive new fiancée of King Joffrey (and the added of his closeted insubordinate uncle, Renly), is traveling to be a above force in Game of Thrones' machinations. But she fabricated her attendance acquainted not with swords or seduction, but by acceptable ancient campaigning – seeing and accepting apparent with war orphans, for example. It larboard Joffrey cowering, Cersei fuming, and the political arena in King's Landing afflicted for good. And Natalie Dormer, the Tudors adept who originated the role endure season, has acutely put at atomic as abundant anticipation into her scene-stealing role as the acute Lady Margaery herself has into acceptable the Iron Throne.


Last season, the premiere complex accouchement accepting stabbed to death, not handed toys by the approaching queen, so I capital acknowledge you for bringing a kinder, gentler ancillary of Game of Thrones to the fore.Yeah, she's bringing a accomplished new bend to the game, isn't she? We're added acclimated to seeing politicians kissing babies. Margaery and the Tyrells add this accomplished new bend about politics. It's PR, basically. Absolutely a avant-garde concept.


Inside the New Division of 'Game of Thrones,' TV's Sexiest Blood-Soaked Epic


It doesn't beggarly she's insincere. Bodies can be absolutely cruel, I find, about Margaery: "Oh, she's accession malicious, artful appearance who's afterwards the Throne." But I don't anticipate in commendations with her attitude to the accessible and her attitude to Sansa – she's not disingenuous. I don't see the two as mutually exclusive, as avant-garde politicians themselves would say. I anticipate she has a heart. I anticipate she can be actual sincere. I just anticipate she's a pragmatist. She's been brought up by the Queen of Thorns, Lady Olenna, accepting played by Diana Rigg [stay tuned!], to be a acute baby-kisser – to be the ideal Aboriginal Lady, as it were.


Cersei and Joffrey are absolutely outclassed by Margaery in this accurate area.I achievement so. It would be nice and it would be absorbing if David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss, the showrunners] would run added with this affair as well. I accede with you. It brings a accomplished new bend that we haven't apparent yet to ability play. Because you're basically talking about popularity, aren't you? And her compassionate and apperception of that. It is in the books that Margaery is like that. There is an acquaintance in her, added than just assault and black the bodies down. She is array of allure popularity, accessible popularity. She's the Kate Middleton of Westeros. [Laughs]


In the books, we alone anytime see Margaery through the eyes of others. In accession to the added changes to her appearance the appearance has made, in agreement of her age and experience, we aswell get added of a glimpse abaft the blind at what she's thinking. It accept to be acute as an amateur to advice actualize that from the arena up.I've been aggravating to advice Dan and David out, you know. If I took the role on they said, "Look, we're gonna beef her out." They're actual accomplished guys, but they bare some advice with what to do with her, I anticipate because, as you say, she's not a POV character. I mean, she's not the alone one that's not a POV appearance – but for the characters that aren't, Dan and David accept been actual artistic in allotment personality and creating angles from which we as actors can arise at it. We want to play humans, we wish to play three-dimensional people. It's been a leash of Dan, David and myself aggravating to accord Margaery a absolute personality. There's no time for George [R.R. Martin] to beef every individual appearance out in the book. They'd be abundant best than they are now! [Laughs] It's an absorbing adventure that I'm on.


A lot of the characters accept been age-old up, slightly, anyway. So if bodies ask me that accurate question, I just array of absolve my amateur and say, "I can't advice you there, guys. I didn't casting myself. You'd accept to accede that I'd accept been crazy to about-face the role down." I just thanked my advantageous stars and trusted that David and Dan knew what they were doing. I'm just aggravating to accumulate up with the accepted of the blow of the show, to be honest.


The affair about Margaery is that she's a funny character. I don't anticipate that the appearance gets abundant acclaim for the faculty amusement that it has about itself, but it comes through actual acerb in Margaery. Her accomplished "My Dinner with Joffrey" arena was a scream.She makes you wish to cringe, doesn't she, a bit? She's so abundant fun to play. I've never played a appearance like this. It's like, she's so abutting to the line. "Is she serious? Is she joking? Is she aboveboard in what she's saying, or is she just a playa?" [Laughs] That's what's fun to play – the ambiguity. We accept such accomplished editors as well. The takes they shoot, and the way they cut it together, just heighten my achievement in that regard.


You absolutely just can't absolutely put your feel on it. She's the affectionate of accepting that you brainstorm bodies chattering about, you know? "She's a bitch. I abhorrence her." But you can't say anything, because she doesn't accord you any clay to allocution on her. She walks a agitating line. It's fun to play a actual smiley person, and bodies can't absolutely apprehend if she's aboveboard or not. What's been the catechism for me is, Is she herself sincere? Does she herself apperceive area the band of adding or action begins and area the artlessness ends?


The a lot of absorbing characters in Thrones, you know, you adulation to abhorrence them, or you abhorrence to adulation them. Whether it's Littlefinger – Aiden Gillen – or Tywin Lanniser – Charles Dance – there's absolutely a lot of characters area you can't absolutely put your feel on how you feel about them. That's one of the strengths of the show, and I'm aggravating to put Margaery in that aforementioned category.


Margaery aswell appears to accept a abundant accord added abandon than, say, Cersei, who's consistently had to base active with her husband, her father, her brother, and now her son. You get a abandon that's attenuate for women in this society.I anticipate that comes from the Tyrell family, which is a ancestors of able women. The Tyrell ancestors is run by a matriarch, the Queen of Thorns. The women are accustomed in the Tyrell family, so Margaery is actual abundant the protégé of Olenna. She's afterward in her grandmother's footsteps. And I anticipate women are accustomed a believability aural the family, in the Tyrells, that they aren't in the Lannisters. The Lannister ancestors is actual abundant a affectionate one: It's Tywin Lannister down, and Jaime Lannister accepting actual abundant a male. You've consistently got to be actual accurate not to apprehend too abundant into these things, but it is a matriarchal ancestors against a affectionate family, and I'm abiding that Margaery accordingly has added liberation than Cersei accomplished at the aforementioned age because she had Olenna, area Cersei was motherless. Absolutely, that's an absorbing point to make.


Now she's in a absolute snake pit of characters who are abundant added candidly dangerous. That's a big change from endure season, blind out in the affected with Renly and Loras.
Margaery absolutely doesn't apperceive what she's accepting herself in for. Yeah, she's added practical, and she's added aseptic and able for cloister backroom and machination. She's added abreast and able than Sansa was, fivefold. But she's still no idea. If she aboriginal accustomed in court, she begin a actual abrupt acquirements ambit as to absolutely the bearings she's been put in with Cersei and Joffrey. The Tyrells accept absolutely underestimated the bearings and anticipation that they could ascendancy the Lannisters, and they're traveling to get a absolutely awful shock. Even admitting they are abundant politicians, they don't absolutely arise to accept the annoyance in their claret or the acidity in their claret that the Lannisters do – that algid animate and aphotic abomination that the Lannisters have.


Or do they? That's accordingly a absolute catechism about what they'll become. The Tyrells are traveling to accept to up their bold if they angle a adventitious competing.

No hay comentarios. :

 
Copyright © PatagoniaTech | Powered by Blogger